Friday, December 11, 2015

Just Waiting for the Next Blockbuster Novel

Have you read, Girl on a Train?  Or maybe you read, The Girl on the Train?

Yes, you guessed it.  There are two books with nearly the same name.  And the result?  You can probably guess that too.  Sales of the two-year old psychological thriller, Girl on a Train, by Alison Waines took off in 2015, climbing to the top of the rankings on Amazon UK and Australia.  It did so, largely on the coattails of the blockbuster novel, The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (see http://www.wsj.com/articles/loved-the-novel-about-a-girl-on-a-train-you-may-have-read-the-wrong-book-1447724224).

So, my strategy as a writer has changed.  I was planning to write a book entitled, The Great American Novel.  I mean, how could that miss?…until I found out that Philip Roth had already written it.

Now, I’m banking on the chance that the author of the next blockbuster (whoever that may be) is reading my blog, because I have a couple of suggestions for a title.  How about Half A Mind?  Or, if you prefer, it could be Mind in the Clouds, as long as it comes out after April 2016.  Is that too much to ask?

No comments :

Post a Comment